Thursday, January 12, 2012

snow day

There are a lot of reasons I should have gone to work on Wednesday. Who takes Wednesday off anyway? Fridays, now that's expected. Even Mondays on occasion, to extend the weekend. But Wednesday?

Here's what I probably should have done: Write a plan or two. Track down a completion letter from a class I taught last summer. Update the aviation qualifications spreadsheet. Seasonal hiring. But here I have to apologize to all the earnest, would-be helitack crewmembers who are calling me every day. I know what it's like to be in your place. I was a temporary employee for 10 years. Back then, I would have liked to have thought that my (hopefully) future boss was sitting in her office chair where she belonged in the middle of the week, calling my references and starting the arduous process to hire me.

Sorry. The sun was shining. The snow at the ski hill was perfect. The company was excellent. It was the best Wednesday in a long time. I hope you can forgive me, future seasonal employees, and wait one more day. I'll do your paperwork and help you out in any way I can. As long as I can have days like this every once in awhile.

A great day for soft boots AND carving boards!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!