Wednesday, May 1, 2013

in other news, we have a ghost.

Do you believe in ghosts?

I'm on the fence.  On one hand, I've never seen actual evidence.  On the other, there are certainly things out there that seem unexplainable.

The closest I've come to dealing with a ghost was when I worked here:




This is the Badger Hole, the former cabin of cowboy poet Charles Badger Clark.  He lived here for about 30 years.  When I worked in Custer State Park, I would be stationed here once a week to greet visitors and show them around.  Everything is in the cabin the way he left it when he died in 1957.




Everyone who worked at this cabin thought that Badger lingered around.  Floorboards would creak and silverware would rattle in the drawers.  We just felt a presence there.

We weren't scared, though.  Badger loved his cabin in the Black Hills.  We felt he was just hanging around in his favorite place.



Lately, a couple of strange things have happened around this helibase. A book jumped off a shelf. Yes, jumped (I saw it).  And a bottle of saline fell out of the eyewash station for no reason at all.

Should we call in the cast of Ghost Adventures?



However, we are not an easily scared bunch.  We already deal with frightening things like cranky pilots, mystery MRE entrees, and bears lurking on our running routes.  In fact, we are still short a temporary employee.  Maybe we can put the ghost to work. 

5 comments:

  1. Whoa how neat!! Where is this? I'm too am on the fence about believing in ghosts. I guess I'd have to see it to believe it. Anyway really cool blog. Thanks for linking to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacqueline! The pictures in this post are from Custer State Park in the Black Hills, South Dakota. A magical place! Now I work in northwest Montana near the west entrance of Glacier National Park. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely believe in ghosts! My younger brother lives in a house where very odd things happen, but instead of being scared, we are fascinated by it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on the fence too... I'm a believer in scientific fact and I'm an atheist. BUT, there's something about spirits and odd phenomena that makes me thing ghosts exist. It's totally contradictory, I admit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know where you're both coming from! I have friends who have seen some really strange things!

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!