Thursday, August 15, 2013

it's raining men (hallelujah)

I forgot this about Alaska: there are men everywhere. Paramedic Peggy and I are at the helibase: we are the only women for miles. Smokejumpers, rugged trapper types, climbers: they're everywhere. They aren't emo, skinny-jeans wearing guys either. A man I used to work with up here is even featured in a reality show about mountain men. So ladies, if you're looking, and you're willing to move, think about casting your net up here. Just remember the local saying: The odds are good, but the goods are odd.

4 comments:

  1. Are there really less women, or do the women just have the sense to be inside where it is warmer? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that's funny. There really are less women, but maybe they are like me...I finally moved away from Alaska because I wanted a longer summer and didn't really like -40 F in the winters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've heard that "odds are good" quote about a LOT of places - proof that men everywhere are bumbling idiots :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What an awesome job...and an awesome blog. You live in what could only be described as my Shangri-la!

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!