Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Shut. Down.

I try not to get too political on here, because there are so many more interesting things to talk about, and because you never know who might be reading.  All opinions on here are my own and not of my employer or employing agency.

However, as a government employee I'm feeling pretty discouraged.  I'm going to be furloughed, with no assurance of pay, through no fault of my own, along with some 800,000 other federal workers. I'm trying to stay positive but it's difficult at times.  It's hard to spend your summer away, protecting other people's home and property from wildfire, and then feel like nobody cares.  I've even seen people's comments on Facebook saying they are glad the government shut down, or telling us we should be happy we are getting a "vacation."

I'll be back soon with a happier post.  Time to spend some time in the mountains.



7 comments:

  1. As a local government worker, I certainly sympathize with all the federal workers that are victims of the shutdown. I hope our congressman stop acting like two-year-olds and get this this resolved quickly. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you will get through the times ok! :( Im not going to lie though, this epic mountain picture you just posted made me super jealous...man that is the kind of job I really need! And thanks for the help and protection you give for the ppl over there :D And =O glad you could be on my blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm blessed that I only am affected as far as being annoyed due to 'everything' surrounding my house (I'm sandwiched between two national parks) off limits. However I have already been praying for those that are all of a sudden living without any monetary guarantee for the near future. Living in a tourist area, I've also started to think of the impact on local businesses that survive through the winter due to the tourist income that is generated through the summer and fall! It's gonna hurt in so many ways!!!

    My prayers are with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the positive thoughts, Proving, Linda & Mary Fran! I realize people in the private sector get laid off all the time too but what I object to is feeling like a pawn by our lawmakers. I will be ok because I save money for just such an eventuality, but other people will struggle. I guess in my time off I could go down the road and visit the national park...oh wait! It's closed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I share your feelings, Lynn. As I was walking out to my car last Tuesday it was with a heavy heart, not a sense of vacation elation. Am determined to make the most of it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard many stupid comments about federal workers getting a "vacation".
    Once the shutdown is over, will you get back pay at least?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we might get back pay. It's up to the Senate now. So there's that...it's hard to go from being a "hero" in the summer to being essentially worthless...

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!