Friday, October 25, 2013

the mountains are talking about summer

“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
John Muir

Luckily, there are plenty of mountains around here with stories to tell.

This is one of the local hiking areas at the end of June this year:

 
And this is the same lake, looking from above, in early October:


Summer is short here, barely time for the snow to melt off the trails and it is falling again. I drove up the road to the trailhead, feeling apprehensive as I encountered snow and ice on the way.  At the last minute I decided to forego the basin for the 7000 foot peak, hoping that the open ridge above treeline might have melted off more.


This was the right choice as the snow was knee deep in the basin.


I passed all the other people on the trail and climbed up to the ridge.


The summit was cold but bathed in sunshine.


The people in this picture said I was "brave" to be up there by myself.  I'm not really sure what they meant by that.  I doubt they would have said the same thing to a man hiking alone.  Their dogs were nice though, so I took some pictures for them.

Here I am with my brave, bad self.

When you travel in the mountains alone you can really listen to their stories.  You can hear what it is they want you to know.

8 comments:

  1. These are beautiful and this looks amazing! I think its badass to be up there alone :D I can't wait until I can get out into the outdoors on a high level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, brave, bad self(ie). I always look forward to your writing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful mountains! I so love it when the snow comes. And I hike by myself all the time, and don't think a thing of it. But if others want to call us "brave" and "badass" I'll wear those labels with pride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, have you ever hiked in Jewel Basin? You'd love it.

      Delete
  4. I thought it might be Jewel Basin! Great photo of brave, bad woman...with clouds above and lakes far below. Listening to mountains' stories makes for a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's me, Mad, bad, and dangerous to know.

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!