Tuesday, November 12, 2013

dude looks like a lady

(Remember that song? Is it stuck in your head now? You're welcome).

Awhile back, I wrote this post about what I've learned from working with mostly men for decades in a job that is primarily manual labor.  Sometimes I wonder if it's changed me from the person I would have been if I had chosen a more traditionally female role.  If I had chosen to be a nurse or a teacher, would I still dislike asking for help, considering it a sign of weakness? Would I still rather go away than talk it out? Would I actually enjoy talking about my feelings? 

I ran this theory by a male friend.  "Sometimes I feel like I AM a man," I said.

"Dude, you ARE," he replied.  Sigh.

Don't misunderstand.  I like to wear dresses, I get my hair highlighted, and I have a weakness for cute boots.  I will never refuse chocolate because "I have a chew in."  I have three cats.  I wouldn't want to go to Jared, worry about getting in a fight, or pretend football is interesting.  So, I'm not REALLY a guy.  But I do understand them.  I don't, like some women, think they are a different species, are from Mars, or that there is a certain set of "Rules" that need to be followed to get them interested.

I can't say whether I would have turned out differently if I hadn't spent almost my entire adult life working around men.  I'm not sorry, though.  I appreciate my "masculine side."  Don't expect me to ask for directions.  I might be driving around in circles, but I'll be wearing some really cute boots doing it.

Kind of a dude...

...but not really.





 

10 comments:

  1. Love this one! Dude or dudette, you are cool either way or at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a civil engineer, so I've worked around men most of my career too. I've always been a tomboy, so I get along fine with the guys. Sometimes better than with the girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, Linda. Not to criticize our gender, but guys are just so straightforward most of the time, and it is hard to offend them.

      Delete
  3. Love this one! I think, in his mind, your male friend paid you a great compliment. And anyone who looks like THAT, can be a dude or a dudette whenever she wants. Just think about the wider world ( of men and women) you've been a part of.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're way too pretty to be a dude!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up with 3 brothers, so I am pretty well-rounded too. I like my feminine side as well as my masculine side, and I can get into a sale at Ulta almost as much as I can get into my Steelers or my favorite hockey team. (I swear more during the games than shopping, though!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every woman has a bit of a masculine side; after all, we do have testosterone in our bodies! A bit of masculinity is inherent for survival these days, lest we want to depend entirely on a man! While I think that masculinity and femininity have clear social/biological definitions, in humans it is rare that one person is 100% woman or 100% man.

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!