Thursday, February 20, 2014

reset

A few years ago, I went to Nepal.  I met a group of British people and trekked with them through a remote valley to climb a 21,000' peak.



We walked for days, up and down hills and over 15,000' passes.  We hiked 6-10 hours a day, and there was an attractive simplicity to it.  All we had to do was walk.  We ate whatever the Sherpas cooked for us.  We drank water constantly, because hydration helps you acclimatize to high elevations.  I ate whatever I wanted and still lost weight; everyone did.  As I walked I realized that this is what our bodies want:  long walks, simple food, and lots of water.


Sometimes I need a reset.  Especially in winter, the routine of gym/running/exercise bike/elliptical gets boring and I dread it. When this happens, I go for a walk in the woods instead.

I'm fortunate to live close to a system of trails that is only open to non-motorized activity.  As light snow fell, I walked through the gate into the forest.


There is a network of trails through here. I usually run on them.


Nobody had been on this one since it snowed.


There are a lot of intersections, lots of choices on where to go.


The clouds were low over the mountains across the farmers' fields.


Tomorrow I'll get back to more strenuous exercise.  But today, an hour and a half in the snowy woods was perfect.

11 comments:

  1. There's nothing like a trip through snowy woods to push the reset button on my attitude. A couple weekends ago, we got snow in town. I knew I should go running, but it was so much more fun to put on my cross country skis and slide through the neighborhood. And I decided any exercise was good exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that thought of what our bodies want is long walks, simple foods and lots of water....so very true. You are very lucky to live so close to that network of trails. Glad you took time to enjoy it on this day ;) (And I'm so amazed by your trip to Nepal!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nepal is amazing! I know you like to hike. You should consider going there!

      Delete
  3. I was fortunate enough to walk through the summer woods on these trails. Great photos of far away and close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You win the award for blogger I'd most like to have coffee with. Your travels are fascinating and I really enjoy your stories. Those trails are gorgeous (even covered in coldness :) It's no wonder why they can clear your mind. I take the dog on our trails here and even though it's usually the same one, being far away from cars or people is so refreshing. Hope you have a nice weekend, Lynn!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristina! What a nice thing to say. Hope you are having a good weekend too.

      Delete
  5. I love the simplicity of your "reset". I'll have to remember that when I feel frustrated with my own fitness goals. Thanks for the food for thought ;) The pics are pretty although I'm not a big fan of snow myself ...but I bet in the summer it's GORGOUS there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful adventure! While I exercise daily, I still need a midday "reset" sometimes in the form of a walk around the block. Granted, my walk is the exact opposite of yours (all concrete and steel), it's still nice to shift your mind from the task at hand to just moving and observing! I use my random midday walks to get fashion inspirations :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a fun thing to do on your walk!

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!