Tuesday, February 25, 2014

scenes from a fire

It's a slow day in my blogosphere.  I don't have much to say, except that I added a "follow by email" button.  So try it...let me know if it works!

Since I haven't been doing a lot lately that's blog-worthy, I thought I'd share some job photos.

Here's a glimpse into my world, through some images from a fire in Wyoming  a year and a half ago.


Cows in the road


We saved this house


This is the fire that came toward the above house.  Some of the newer crewmembers were scared.


Crew boss making a plan.  What would you do?


 At 4:30 am, the crew sets a line of fire to stop the main fire from crossing the road.  They woke us up in fire camp to go do this.


The crew clearing around a ranch outbuilding


Fire coming over the hill


I called these the "love trees"


I saved this cabin

Have a good day, blog friends!

8 comments:

  1. Interesting photos. Glad you were able to save the home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo-story! Tried the email and *&^% Google says, "Don't have access to this service." But that's okay, I can check for new blogs! Wouldn't miss it....a life and work so different than my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, that looks like a tough job. But it's gotta be an amazing feeling knowing you are saving peoples homes. Thank you for doing what you do!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing like pushing through a heard of cattle to get into a fire. oy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't imagine fighting fire in that terrain. so crazy! I have helped on our volunteer fire department on the ranch when I was growing up, we were so desperate for equiptment we used to use old jeans to beat at the flames, crazy but it works in open areas. Now we have some old army 6x6 that are pretty effective too. We had a lot of fires when I was younger, I gained a healthy fear of it, still have it really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get the old jeans, because in Alaska we used to use burlap sacks in the same way. tI works!

      Delete
    2. I mean it, not tl! It works really well in the tundra as well...until they catch on fire and then you had to get a new one.

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!