Friday, March 28, 2014

Not exercising

I haven't exercised in four days. FOUR DAYS.  Most people who know me would think that was impossible.  I'm the person who has run during tornado watches, ice storms, blizzards, and in sketchy areas of cities where all the windows have bars on them.  I even attempted to  run the same day after summiting a 10,000 foot glaciated peak.  I drag myself to the gym even if I have to go on Friday nights with everyone else who obviously has no exciting plans for the evening.  I've been exercising 6 days a week for as long as I can remember.  I guess you could say I'm slightly obsessed.

When my latest sickness hit I thought I could brush it off and exercise as normal.  But the thought of putting on my workout clothes sounded like a monumental task.  I can't get warm and then I'm too hot.  I have a strange cough that sometimes closes my throat so I feel like I can't breathe.  Some parts of yesterday seem unclear.  The flu? Maybe; I'm not a doctor-goer. 

Instead, I'm on my couch with a heated blanket, a book, and a cat.  My irrational fears of gaining weight overnight or losing all muscle tone are just that, irrational.  It's hard to let them go, though.

I think your body tells you what it wants (sometimes it says "chips", but that's beside the point).  Usually it says it wants exercise, good food, and sleep.  Mine is telling me to stop for awhile.  It's hard, but I'm listening.

11 comments:

  1. Being sick sucks. Hope you recover quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel better today. I'm not sure where this came from!

      Delete
  2. I hope you feel better....and enjoy the time with the book and cat!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I actually have 3 cats so they take turns sitting with me.

      Delete
  3. Aw, feel better soon Lynn. Sometimes your body has all the tools it needs to heal itself, it just needs you to stop expending energy so it can heal. Good job on listening to it. I hope you have a good book to read ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading "Where'd you go, Bernadette". I've heard good things about it.

      Delete
  4. Haven't heard of that book; I'll have to check it out. Sorry you are sick--we were hit out of the blue with strange intestinal bug and I'm still recovering. Not a bad weight-loss plan, though; I've had no food except little crackers and ginger ale for a couple days. It sounds like you did all the right things for yourself and I hope you are feeling good today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry that you are sick, but at least you have a book and a cat :) Your comment about Friday night at the gym made me laugh. I look forward to having the gym to myself on Friday nights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good time to go to the gym. My gym is ALWAYS busy except for then.

      Delete
  6. It's definitely hard to let go of irrational fears of gaining weight or losing muscle; I understand that after having lost a tremendous amount of weight. Plus, you have a job that actually requires you to be in good shape :) Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sabrina, I never had a weight problem so I'm not sure where my fears come from but they're very real.

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!