Sunday, October 12, 2014

Why I don't have a bucket list

  • I don't like to plan.  I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow, how can I plan for something that might be years away? I didn't plan to be a firefighter, and 27 years later I'm still fighting fire.
Me on a hotshot crew

  • What if you change your mind? As in, "hey, running with the bulls would be fun!" (Don't worry, mom, this sentence has never crossed my lips).  Then, older and wiser, you realize it might be sort of dumb, and you don't want to do it anymore.  Can you actually cross things off a bucket list? That seems kind of wrong, so much so that one day you might find yourself sprinting along in Pamplona, thinking, darn that bucket list! What was I thinking! But now I HAVE TO!

  • I don't always know I want to do something in advance.  Last November I was scouring the internet, thinking, I've got to get out of here, where can I go? when I saw a friend's pictures of Antarctica.  Oh ok, I'll go there, I decided, and left a month later.  While climbing a mountain in Antarctica, I realized I had been climbing on every continent except one (Europe).  Hmmm, that would be kind of cool to climb on all seven continents, I thought while waiting for the person on the rope ahead of me to negotiate a crevasse. OK, I'll do that then. Iceland, here I come!
Climbing in Antarctica
 
  • I've already done a lot of stuff.  Skydiving? Did it.  Climb Kilimanjaro?  That too.  Fly in a helicopter?  All the time.  See the Big Five in Africa? Yep.  Of course there's still things I want to do, but usually I figure them out at the last minute.
 


Here's what I think about bucket lists.  Have one, if you like lists, or if you need one to plan ahead.  But life is uncertain.  If you want to do something, do it!  Unless it involves another person who isn't in the picture/isn't ready/isn't born yet, tons of logistics, or millions of dollars, your dreams are closer than you think.

What do you think? Do you have a bucket list? If so, what's on it?



15 comments:

  1. I agree! Much better to have a bucket list consisting of 'do as much fun stuff as possible. all the time.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like lists but not this kind. Waaaaaaay too much pressure, and I change my mind daily. I can also make decisions without putting much thought into them. Best I take time to think about things first. My list would be a bloody mess:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also change my mind a lot. Never would have thought I would want to go to Antarctica, so it wouldn't have made The List.

      Delete
  3. Like this! Send it somewhere--More Magazine, or O, or something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree..don't have one. Fine if it works for someone, but sort of feels like pressure....got to do these or I'm a failure...for me, better to see an interesting chance and take it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, because being a princess or ballerina, which would have been on my list at 7 years old, has not yet worked out.

      Delete
    2. Was firefighter on your list at age 7?

      Delete
  5. I think if you live life to the full, try not to live with regrets and wonder 'what if', then essentially you don't need a bucket list. I'm so impressed you've been climbing on 7 continents and climbed Kilimanjaro!

    Life is uncertain. I have lists, but more so, for me to pull ideas off when I'm feeling spontaneous, so I'm not thinking "Hmm... where should I go this weekend?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, to have several backup plans. I need to do that more so I'm not stuck with no ideas on a day off.

      Delete
  6. For someone w/o a "bucket list" you have certainly done a lot---already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - you have lived a full life already! I can see why you don't want/need a bucket list. I have an informal "bucket list" that resides in my head. But I agree with your philosophy - if you get an opportunity to do something amazing - take it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of informal goals or ideas. I just can't commit to a list...even at the grocery store.

      Delete
    2. Yes, a grocery list might overlook deals on chocolate while picking up eggs and oatmeal. :-)

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!