Tuesday, November 18, 2014

more gym thoughts

There is an episode of Seinfeld where Jerry talks about the gym.  He says:

To me, going to the health club, you see all these people and they're
working out, and they're training and they're getting in shape but the
strange thing is nobody is really getting in shape for anything. The only
reason that you're getting in shape is that so you can get through the
workout. So we're working out, so that we'll be in shape, for when we have
to do our exercise. This is the whole thing.


Sometimes I think about this when I go to the gym.  All of us, running and biking and stair climbing to nowhere, and lifting heavy stuff so we'll be able to go back and lift more heavy stuff. (Disclaimer: I know some gym goers actually are training for something like a race or competition.  But most of us aren't).
Rule #1: Cardio
Still, the gym is a necessary evil, even for wildland firefighters, because unless we live someplace like Florida, most of us work at a desk all winter (unless we are laid off due to lack of work).  In the summer we usually work hard enough not to need it (and aren't home to go there anyway).  So once winter comes you'll find us there among the other zombies, attacking a machine or dumbbells, all of us working out so we can go back and work out again. 

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch..so true. Will take this vision with me when go to the gym this a.m.! Though I tell myself that there are other purposes...like staying strong for snowshoeing and next summer's kayaking and hiking. Whatever gets us to, and through, the workout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah....lifting weights is not one of my favorite things. But I go to my class every week because I know it will provide a good base for all of the other activities I like to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, some gyms recognize this. Mine offers a Ski Conditioning class. I haven't taken it, but I think it's a good idea. It might keep people motivated.

      Delete
  4. We think about much the same things at the gym. Sometimes I look around at all of us plugging along on the treadmill and really, really don't understand it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, sometimes I feel sort of ridiculous, like here I am with the First World Problem of having to go to a building and pay to stay fit, while in some other countries life keeps them fit.

      Delete
  5. I haven't had to join a gym this year, but the cold weather and rain in the U.K. might mean I have to, as I really can't be dealing with squelching running shoes! The problem is, I enjoy the sensation of the scenery (even if it's not picturesque) moving around me, rather than it being stationary, as on a treadmill.

    It's funny that you mention training for something (or not), but just training to stay in shape. I did this initially but I set myself targets because I only took up running at the beginning of 2014, so I aimed to have a 10km run under my belt by September and a triathlon by October - both now completed. I find, now that those 2 targets are out of the way, training/running has become less of a priority... But I like the exercise; I should try and make more of a conscious effort, because it is a great stress relief!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great that you did a 10k AND a triathlon and you hadn't even been running a year!

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!