Monday, December 29, 2014

Iceland it is!

My unscientific poll of the five people who read my blog indicates that Iceland is where I should go.  Ever since then, Iceland is everywhere: several TV shows that I was flipping past (one on a golf channel I didn't even know existed), articles in magazines I already had, and websites I discovered while looking for something else.  So it must be meant to be!

It appears that people either go to Iceland in the winter to see the northern lights, or in the summer to hike/climb/see waterfalls.  I'm sure the auroras are beautiful there, but I saw them often while living in Alaska, and I don't really want to travel to another cold place from the cold place where I currently live (it's supposed to be -15F tonight).  So I'll be going later when you can access a lot of the trails and peaks.

I'll most likely go by myself, but I'm used to that by now.  There are groups I could join when I got there, so I'm not too worried.  Here is what I want to do:

Go to the Blue Lagoon.  Yes it's touristy, but I have to.   Look at it.  I've heard it makes your hair feel like straw.  Anybody been there who can confirm this?  My hair often feels like straw while on vacation, so this wouldn't be anything new.
Picture from Wikipedia
Climb Iceland's highest peak, Hvannadalshnjukur.  Extra points if you can pronounce this.  It's only a little over 6000' but you start at sea level so it's about a 12-14 hour round trip, and it's glaciated, so you have to rope up.
Image from Summitpost.org.
See the Gulfoss waterfall.
Picture from Wikipedia.  Gullfoss means "Golden Falls."
Visit the glacial lagoon at Jukulsarlon and the geysers at Geysir.
Picture from Wikipedia
I have the feeling I might want to move there!

Anybody been there?  What am I missing?

Anybody else have trip plans?


14 comments:

  1. No trip plans.....still trying to heal my foot so I can ski. I'd love to go Iceland. I'm jealous! Sorry, can't give you any recommendations, but what you've picked so far looks spectacular. Stay warm, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you'd be fun to travel with. You hike in all kinds of weather! I hope you heal up soon.

      Delete
  2. Sounds amazing!!! I haven't planned anything for 2015... yet!!! I've just been trying to keep abreast of work (because I keep procrastinating!) I personally haven't been to Iceland, but I've heard amazing things from an ex-colleague who is Icelandic, who said to visit the Geysir, the Landmannalaugar nature reserve to hike and to go whale-watching, if you're planning to go in summer. I can't wait to hear about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I almost never plan ahead for trips. I was looking at that nature reserve too. There's a lot to see!

      Delete
  3. Sounds great! I'd love to visit Iceland....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But maybe not the volcano climb that requires ice axes and crampons! I'll leave that for your experienced self. But sounds like fun...and great views.

      Delete
    2. I don't think it is very technical, just some crevasses.

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year, Lynn--I asked my travel writer friend to give you some Iceland info--she traveled there in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK thanks! Sadly, I'm learning it is pretty hard for an American to move there.

      Delete
    2. They don't want "our" influence, eh?

      Delete
  5. I went to Iceland with my wife in September, after the rates dropped but before it got too cold. We spent time in Reykjavík, near Gullfoss, and on the Snæfellsnes Peninsula. We saw the northern lights twice (in nine days). I had a few great short hikes, especially on a trail above the canyon of the Hvitá River downstream of Gullfoss and bushwhacking halfway across the Snæfellsnes. Here is my picture gallery from the trip: http://www.cookhimes.us/dennis/traillog/iceland/iceland000.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link! Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Iceland sounds so amazing, it's always been on my list! No trip plans for me after a recent lay-off, but I'm sure there will be something great in my future (as soon as I find a job).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will find one soon! Greece sounds amazing by the way....someday!

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!