Friday, February 6, 2015

A Bad (Good) Run

Despite the groundhog, winter seems to be on a break here.  A person could theoretically have worn shorts to run today, if she were so inclined.  In early February! In northwest Montana! The local ski area was advertising "spring skiing" conditions, which typically means mashed potato snow and rain. Since my snowboarding ability and spring skiing conditions don't really get along, I decided to go for a run instead.

As soon as I stepped into the woods I had a sense of doom.  The normally packed down path was soft.  It was full of ankle-twisting holes from where heavier people had fallen in.  I had to run slowly, and even walk down a treacherously icy hill.  This was shaping up to be a BAD RUN.  Runners know what I mean: those runs where nothing seems to go right.

But wait, I argued with myself as I ran (I do this a lot.  Don't you?)  This was the wrong way of thinking.  This was actually a good run, because:

1.  I was able to run.  Lots of people aren't.  I've had two involuntary running breaks, once when I broke my ankle skiing, and another time when I tore my ACL and had to have two consecutive knee surgeries.  Then, I would have given a lot to be able to run, even if it was snowy and icy and annoying.

2.  I was in the woods.  I wasn't on a treadmill or a boring road.  I was running through a quiet forest, and nobody else was out there.

3.  It was warm.  The air felt soft, like spring.  I wasn't freezing or in the middle of a blizzard.

4.  I was wearing running tights and microspikes, both of which weren't around when I started running (you wore sweats, and if it was icy, you just fell).

5.  All this running on trails has helped me stay a runner for a mind boggling number of years.  I've never had a running injury.

6.  When I got home, there would be hot tub, cats, books, and chocolate.

In the end, I ran the route several minutes slower than usual.  I slipped around and fell in some of the holes in the snow.  An enthusiastic dog jumped on me.  But really, all that didn't matter.  I was able to get out there and run.  That was the important thing.






12 comments:

  1. Cool shoes! Yes, any day we can run, hike, snowshoe or be in the woods is a good day.....glad it was for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the Nike Air Dri Goat. I'm not sure if they still make them but they're really good for running in the rain and snow.

      Delete
    2. What a great name for a shoe...promises all kinds of good things: Dri and goat (mountain-type, no doubt).

      Delete
  2. Yes, being on the injured reserve now for 3 months, I'm missing running something fierce. Hopefully if my foot behaves, I'll be able to resume in another month or so......In the meantime, run a few miles for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, Linda! Glad to see you can ski!

      Delete
  3. I always berate myself for a slow/bad run, where I feel I haven't done very well, in terms of pace and distance. However, I'm really glad that you reminded me that there are good points, even if the run is "bad".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I love trail running. It's hard to go very fast, so I stop worrying about time. Plus there's so much to look at.

      Delete
  4. Glad you were able to get your run in, even tho trail conditions weren't ideal. Great surroundings...peaceful and its beautiful in February!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really pretty here in the winter.

      Delete
  5. Slower time, hole-falling, dog-jumping...but I can tell your spirits were lifted. The best result!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like there is no such thing as a bad run - if you're outside it's all good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!