Thursday, February 12, 2015

What's happening in the park

Most people don't visit Glacier National Park in the winter, not unless they're here for something else, like the ski area.  In the summer you can hike for days to alpine lakes and fire lookouts, and see mountain goats, bighorn sheep and bears.


In the winter it's different.  The road on the west side is only open for 11 miles; less than that on the east side.  The backcountry is buried in snow.  The animals are elusive.  In other words, a perfect time for locals to go.

I put on my snowshoes at the road closure.  From here, people can ski, walk or snowshoe on the road, which usually closes in September or October and won't open until mid-June at the earliest.  When the snow melts in the spring, all the bikes come out.

The road winds along the creek and underneath jagged peaks.
 
 
I soon lose most of the other snowshoers, who turn around when the snow gets soft.   The clouds cling to the peaks; it's snowing up high.  Down here the temperature approaches 40 degrees.  The mountains will hold onto winter for awhile longer.  And that's all right with me.  I can wait for the crowds of people, the vehicles that will line this road, even for fire season. For now the park belongs to us, the privileged few who get to live here.



10 comments:

  1. Great photo, and sounds like a good day in beautiful surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, we get complacent here I think.

      Delete
  3. If I lived close to the park like you, I'd be up there all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I should go there more than I actually do. Locals can buy a year pass for $15....a bargain!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful surroundings. Beautiful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I hope to get up there one day & it looks like the "off season" may be the best time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Actually fall is really nice too. In September it sometimes rains, but the trade off is that there are few crowds and you can usually hike most of the trails still.

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!