Sunday, April 5, 2015

Wilderness therapy

Sometimes I, with a few other people, travel places to help others deal with their grief and pain after traumatic events.  It's not part of my job; I volunteered for it in the memory of those who didn't get that help and suffered because of it.  I can't say more about this because the process and participants are kept confidential.  It's worth it, but the next day I always feel a little strange, as if the world is a little unbalanced.  A team member once told me it was because we take some of these people's pain onto ourselves.  It feels like an emotional hangover.

Since I don't celebrate Easter, a hike seemed in order.  I woke up to a skiff of new snow, but remained undaunted.  The sun was out after a few days of rain, and nobody was at the trailhead.

Some sections of the trail were snowy, while others were clear.
 

I came to a flooded section and sensed doom, but found a way around it.

There are some cute bridges on the trail.

The lake was still frozen.  I sat on the rocks and listened to birds and wind in the trees, all those sounds that keep going on whether we are here to listen or are in some place beyond hearing. 

Some people go to church for solace and peace; others go to yoga class.  I go to the woods.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, the wild is therapy. Glad you could find it after helping others with their pain, and glad you were there for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, the great outdoors is my "church." Good for you for volunteering to help people work through their grief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. It takes a very special person to do what you do xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but from what I've read your job sounds difficult!

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!