Friday, July 31, 2015

Summer is passing me by

Let's get this out of the way. I don't love winter. I don't have much "r value" as one of my friends likes to call it, and I dread being cold. I prefer sunshine, hiking trails, and wearing shorts to being bundled up, slippery roads, and shoveling snow.

This is the wildland firefighter's dilemma, if you're like me.  Summer is the busy time, when you can make money for travel or just life. But summer is fleeting, and when you work for weeks at a time without days off, it slips away from you. You notice days getting shorter and colder temperatures at night. There's still some time left, but not a lot.

I haven't gone on many hikes this summer, or taken my kayak out more than a couple times. I wear long pants and boots in the 100 degree heat. I miss my non-fire friends.

But it could be worse. I'm outside every day. I get to fly over (and land in) Glacier National Park in a helicopter. I help save people and their property from fire. And save up for my next trip (where should I go?)

When I fly over hiking trails and lakes, I see you down there, in your tank tops and on your rafts, enjoying summer like normal people. Sometimes I wish I were there too, but I chose this path years ago. Then I think of the fire brothers and sisters I feel so close to and the amazing things I have seen and done, and it's ok.  But enjoy your time out there, people! We'll be up there in the sky looking out for you.



10 comments:

  1. Am thinking of you up there....and sending safe thoughts for you and all your fire sisters and brothers. Wishing for a "long fall" after fires to be out on the trails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we will have a nice fall, but since everything else is a month early it's hard to say.

      Delete
  2. I am the opposite: I wait all summer for it to be over, and I celebrate the cooler temperatures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might too, if I lived where you did. At least we don't have a lot of humidity here.

      Delete
  3. I love the warm! We get so little of it in the U.P. of Michigan....must be my first years growing up in Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all greatly appreciate what you firefighters do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoken like a true Midwesterner--"it could be worse"! I don't know if this is a summer of more and bigger fires, though it seems like it from the news, but I too wish for you a calmer fall season of warmth and adventures. Scotland? Chile? Far East?

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure where I want to go. Still thinking about Tibet some day. But I'd have to go in September or in the spring.

      Delete
  5. Winter vaca? Someplace warm! Repeat to Belize, Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand? Or Baja California?

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!