Saturday, October 24, 2015

An Accidental Traveler

The most common question I get this time of year from people who don't know me well is, "Sooo...where are you going this year?"  I've somehow acquired a globe trotting reputation, which I don't think is quite deserved; I didn't travel out of the country between 2007 and 2012, for example.  They seem really invested in the answer.  Probably disappointingly, I usually say, "I don't know!"

And I usually don't.  This year, an unexpected new furnace has cost as much as a trip to say, Bhutan, and a plethora of work meetings and commitments litter my calendar, coupled with a late fire season.  But even in normal years, I usually don't plan too far ahead.  On the ship to Antarctica, I discovered that many people had been planning this trip for years, and bought their tickets a year in advance.  On the other hand, I bought mine a month before I went (and paid half price: sorry/not sorry).  In fact, most of my trips have been, well, sort of accidental.
Antarctic peninsula
Not that I somehow stumbled upon a free ticket (how great would that be?) but instead, most of my travel ideas have originated from a night in front of the computer thinking, I need to get out of here. Where should I go?  which turned into, That Facebook friend's photos of Patagonia are really beautiful.  Maybe I should go there.  Let's check Orbitz.  Three weeks from now? Sure!
Beautiful Patagonia.  Go!!!
My job takes the summers away, but it gives me the winters.  I probably wouldn't have been to half the places I've been if I had a "normal" job.  I would have stayed closer, but that's not really possible.  Climbing Mt. Rainier, hiking the PCT, touring National Parks, are all pretty much out for me.  So I  chose Tanzania, Argentina, Nepal, Ecuador, and all the other unforgettable places I've seen.  And all are basically chosen at the last minute, based on a picture, a book, or another traveler's story.
I loved Nepal
What's next? I may disappoint the vicarious travelers who quiz me about my wanderings (see furnace, above).  But you never know.  Excuse me while I check the weather in Santorini....

8 comments:

  1. Smile! Let us know when the unexpected next trip comes up! Sorry to hear about the furnace....yes, I think the bill for ours two years ago could have easily paid for a trip abroad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grrr...homeowners who install things themselves and don't do it right!

      Delete
  2. And that's how you get deals....because you are NOT tied down like other people :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you travel in NZ? I live in Auckland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All over! It was a long time ago, and it was three of us girls. I especially liked the Routeburn track, the Mt. Cook area, the Abel Tasman track, and Hot Water Beach.

      Delete
  4. Ugh to broken down stuff in the house. But excited to hear where you'll be off to next :-)

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!