Sunday, November 15, 2015

Late fall at Avalanche Lake

I don't know how many times I've hiked this trail.  I've been here at sunrise and sunset, in rain and snow, with friends and alone.  As a 22 year old park intern, I led nature walks here; the groups moved at a glacial pace, but once released at the lake, I could usually find a few children who wanted to run back down with me.

It's really too crowded to hike in the summer; it's only 2 miles to the lake so the hordes descend, with varying degrees of preparedness.  The off-season is the time to go; there are still some hikers, but not many.
The trail two years ago.  More snow then!
 My life has taken some twists and turns since I identified trees and flowers along this path to park visitors.  I'm sure the 22 year old me would be puzzled by some of my choices: living in one place for five years? buying a TV? but then again, some of her decisions seem crazy now:  over-exercising and obsessive calorie-counting, that spiral perm!  But the trail has stayed the same, and when it reaches the lake in a mountain cirque, it feels like I'm seeing it for the first time, every time.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely! Thanks for taking us there....I need a mountain fix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the "bear ranger" at Avalanche Lake....we still chuckle about that. It's a gorgeous spot.

      Delete
  2. You are always seeing it for the first time, 'cause each time is different. Thanks for the guided tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hiking the more popular trails in the off season. I can see why this one is so popular.

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!