Wednesday, December 30, 2015

A firefighter in winter

I have to admit, it's sort of an oxymoron, unless you live in a southern state where they have some winter fires, or do prescribed burning.  "Must be pretty slow right now," people say cheerily; this is usually coupled with, "what do you DO in the winter, anyway?"

Here's what I do in the winter.  I try not to think about fires or firefighting.  If any wildland firefighters say they miss it in the winter, they aren't busy enough in the summer or haven't been doing it that long.

No longer tied to a base with a 5 minute getaway time, I can exercise where and when I want. I run without carrying a phone. I reacquaint myself with my gym.  I go snowshoeing in a local forest.

No more shapeless, unattractive fire clothes! I wear dresses and skirts and boots. I spend time with people who don't work for me.
I may or may not have bought some new boots.
 
I watch snowstorms instead of thunderstorms.

I bake stuff! These are chocolate peanut butter cupcakes. Yum!

 I actually have time to get my hair cut.

 Fire season will be back in 6 months, but there's no hurry. Right now it's time for the forest (and us) to take a rest.

9 comments:

  1. All those "off-season" things sound great, though I know that "fire-stuff" and "hire-stuff" do go on in winter! Love the photos....those are some seriously CUTE BOOTS (and firefighter).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the boots, although I didn't mean to buy them...they are waterproof and rated to -25.

      Delete
    2. Those are the kind of boots that jump off the shelf and on to your feet, so you can see how great they look....then they are yours!

      Delete
  2. I thought I posted a comment earlier, but maybe it flew off into cyberspace. Anyway...Great-looking boots, pretty woman. Enjoy as much R&R as you can. You deserve every minute of it. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those boots! Happy New Year! Enjoy this time of year and the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Joan and enjoy the desert hiking!

      Delete
  4. Happy New Years! Enjoy the blessed time away from the fires!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MaryFran! Happy New Year!

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!