Thursday, January 14, 2016

A walk in the blog graveyard

Scrolling through the bookmarks on my computer, I see them, the abandoned blogs.  My finger hovers over the delete button.  What if  the author suddenly decides to come back and the blog comes miraculously back to life?  Sadly, this rarely happens.

Usually there is some sort of announcement.  The author has said all he or she wants to say, maybe; worse, mean comments have driven the blog offline or private.  But sometimes there's nothing:  the blog becomes open to invitees only, or just goes dark.

I can't help but wonder.  What happened to the Sunflower, the Adventurer, the Artist? Why did that blog I had just found and commented on suddenly go private?  Are they okay? Was it something innocuous, or worse?  I've often been called a "curious kitty" because I wonder about a lot of things; given that and my fascination with murder mysteries I think I would have made a good CSI.  I'm always puzzled when I ask a friend, "Don't you wonder about (insert fascinating situation here)?" and get the reply "No, not really."

I do get it.  Someone puts their life out there for everyone to see, and critical comments aren't helpful.  Plus, let's face it, most of our lives can get, well, boring at times.  Too many of my days consist of:  Go to work.  Go to the gym.  Read a book.  The end.  It's hard to think of something new to say.

I miss some of those blogs.  Even though I'll probably never meet the authors of the ones I read, I look forward to every new post, to see what's going on in that person's corner of the world.  So keep writing, people! Even if you don't know it, there's people out there reading, and wishing you well.

10 comments:

  1. So, keep writing, Firefly....even if you don't know it, there are people out there reading, and wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have met "lurkers" on the fireline.

      Delete
  2. I am TOTALLY the same way. I've always wondered about the people that go silent after they have let me into their lives through their blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst is when they don't seem to be OK and then suddenly leave.

      Delete
  3. Yes, throughout the years, there's been blogs I really enjoyed that just dropped off the radar. I always hate it when that happens. So please keep writing - I'm one of your "people out there reading and wishing you well."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You keep writing too! Those waterfall pictures need to be seen.

      Delete
  4. I was just thinking about this the other day! I feel the same way. I hate when blogs just die out, or when their author just turns it private. You feel very unresolved. That's why I was trying so hard to be transparent with readers when I had that weird outing by a reader last November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're still writing. I enjoy your blog.

      Delete
  5. I definitely fall into the "sporadic blogger" category... sometimes the blog falls to the bottom of my to-do list, especially when other writing projects (work-related) take priority, and life is boring (for me). It's challenging to come up with blog entries when I'm cubicle-bound most of the time these days, haha. Thanks goodness for folks who are better at keeping up with blogs than I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem. We might find ASC and Aglearn amusing but nobody would want to read about them!

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!