Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Can't lose the office

I've been a firefighter for so long that sometimes it's hard to shake it when I'm not at work. It even followed me to Kilimanjaro, where I quizzed my guide about the evidence of a fire on its lower slopes, and to Patagonia, where I learned about the problem of human caused fires in the national parks, started by illegal campers.
If you've experienced the winds in Patagonia, you understand the slightly crazed look.
Since I can't escape my job, I embrace it.  On hikes, I look for helicopter landing zones, in case I should happen upon an injured person.
Here's a good spot.
 I evaluate forests for flammability. Iceland, you're safe!

Upon spying a cute cabin in the woods, my first thought is usually, it's nice, but clear out some of those trees!
Can you see the A frame in this picture? It actually survived.
What about you? Are you able to put your job aside, or does it come with you? What do you notice?

11 comments:

  1. I look for campsites when I hike. I can't stop doing it, even when I don't need one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a SAHM and it's a job so you can say but I will try and notice if I do anything out of requirement (probably with niece or nephews)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a job, and a hard one, I'm not sure I could do it!

      Delete
  3. I bet the people in that A Frame were sweating bullets for a while!

    Yes, I find myself thinking about my job and knowledge about my job outside of my work. It's a switch that I just can't turn off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never met those A frame people, they had long since evacuated, but we did meet people from another house who wanted to "help." We had to tell them to go. We didn't want any victims!

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I'm a transportation engineer, so when I travel I check out the roads, sidewalks and curb ramps. My hubby thinks I'm such a nerd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I think I'd be looking skeptically at bridges.

      Delete
  5. As an editor/proofreader, I always notice typos/misplaced apostrophes/awkward language on signs, in books, on Facebook, etc. It's an occupational hazard and I try hard not to be a grammar Nazi (or even a grammar nerd) about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help but notice that too, and I wonder how it has proliferated so much lately. "Your" instead of "you're," for example.

      Delete
    2. This old grump attributes it to our online media spelling and grammar...all condensed and in a hurry. My pet peeve is using "that" all the time instead of "who" but I am not going to win that one. On a much more pleasant topic, it's not an occupational hazard, but I look for hidden coves on Lake Superior which would make good beaching and picnic spots, also for specially large original white pines (family heritage!)

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!