Sunday, January 31, 2016

Hello, my name is...

In the last few years, I've discovered a hidden talent.  This is good, because if you've been fighting fire as long as I have, you sometimes wonder if you can even do anything else.

My new superpower is NAMING THINGS.  Specifically, books and babies.

There are two babies out there (Hi H. and C.!) who are not related to me but are bearing names I suggested.  These aren't common names like Jessica or Jared.  These kids have names that stand out (in a good way).

I've also contributed the titles to two books and one writing workshop.  Obviously, it would have been better if I had actually written said books or taught the workshop, but it's a start.

Somehow I've been able to hear a description of the book or event and see the big picture in order to come up with a title that describes it.  #Humblebrag (really just #Brag): I don't even need to read the book to do this.

I can also do nicknames, but I can't guarantee the target will like it.  One detailer hotshot didn't like "Hard Charger" and prefers "Stone Cold" instead, except he really is a Hard Charger and not a Stone Cold and should just accept that about himself.  (Note: I can't take full credit for this nickname because Mad Philly came up with it years ago for someone else, and I just recycled it.  Mad Philly was good at nicknames).

So if you have a manuscript languishing without a name, or an infant who is nameless, let me know!  I just need to find out how to make this talent lucrative and it can be my retirement job.

Anyone else good at naming things?
Where is this? They need me! (source)

12 comments:

  1. Good talent to have....future consulting service?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt there's much of a market, unfortunately.

      Delete
  2. Maybe I should tap your talent when I'm in need of witty blog post titles!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can come up with titles all day, but topics...not so much.

      Delete
  3. There has to be a way you can make money doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, incredible talent.
    I named one two kids (husbands friends kids) and I was surprised when they took the name. (I was rambling?)

    I do name *stuff* like the chair in my room has a name (Charlie!!!)
    even the bed is named LOL

    (Now I sound goofy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a floaty fish in my hot tub named Poseidon.

      Delete
  5. There really are people (consultants?) who name things--not always as successfully as you (think automobile company that dubbed its car Nova, apparently not realizing the word means No Go in Spanish).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naming things....coming up with titles and whatnot are my HARDEST part! (Which is why my blog posts have such lame-o titles!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming up with subjects is the hardest part for me.

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!