Friday, March 11, 2016

Greetings from the germ factory

"Carrier monkey." It's a term we use a lot on my fire crew.  It means someone who has been exposed to illness, but is not yet showing symptoms; nevertheless they are wildly contagious.  Carrier monkeys are the worst, because they don't know they're sick, and you can't really blame them for infecting you.  They didn't know!

I recently encountered a carrier monkey and contracted the flu, only a couple of weeks after I had a stomach bug.  To top if off, my knee hurt for no specific reason.  "I'm falling apart!" I whined to a friend.  Pity, party of one.

I've always been someone who tried to exercise through anything (probably prolonging illnesses in the past), but I had to reluctantly take some days off.  I realized this when I got on my exercise bike and my lungs started burning immediately in protest. I huddled under blankets and tried to concentrate on a work-related online class about the Davis-Bacon Act.  As it turns out, a fever makes it difficult to remember policies for a test. Friends offered to bring me medicine and food, but I knew what I had to do: quarantine myself.

Being sick makes you appreciate feeling well even more.  To anyone I may have infected while in carrier monkey status, I sincerely apologize.  You should feel better in about 6 days.

12 comments:

  1. Sorry the office bug got you down. Here's wishing a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I'm getting better!

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear you encountered a carrier monkey and might be one. Medication and food from friends, left outside the door might make the one in quarantine feel better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't want to bother people. I have plenty of food and medication.

      Delete
  3. Carrier monkeys are running rampant over in this part of Michigan; we, like you, were probably among the group. All sorts of illnesses going on in the community. I hope you are better very soon, and I agree with northco--let those friends approach your door, leave things, and run away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would have to run, it's very contagious.

      Delete
  4. I feel for you... I caught some kind of uber-crud down here in Albuquerque (in the middle of a 60-day detail no less) that knocked me out for about two weeks. Tough to quarantine myself under those conditions, but I'm a fan of that "treatment" method too. Feel better soon! Only a few months until it's camp crud season, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I hate when you catch something when you're on detail. I bet it's not even that warm in ABQ right now.

      Delete
  5. Feel better soon! Being sick in bed sounds glamorous (watching TV and reading all day) until you're actually in that position. I am also someone who tries to exercise and work through anything. A few weeks ago I had the beginnings of a sinus infection, but went to spin class anyway I knew I was sick when I started shivering despite being in a small room packed with sweaty bodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it sounds great to lie around until you have to! It's hard not to exercise like normal but I've cut back some for now.

      Delete
  6. Boo to being sick. I just had a bug that dropped me to my knees (or rather drove me to my bed)....it was no fun and I also sincerely apologize to those I unknowingly infected. (yes, I've apologized to my boyfriend a gazillion times!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he forgave you :) He seems like a keeper.

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!