Saturday, March 5, 2016

Retirement Practice

My friend J. wanted popcorn for the movies, or else I probably wouldn't have run into C.  I hadn't seen him for a few years, since before he retired.  Wildland firefighters are forced to retire earlier than most Americans; you're out by 57.  This can be great if you're prepared for it, not so much if you don't have enough saved and have to look for some other way to pay the bills.  C., standing in the concession line, didn't seem worried.

"Retirement is the best career I've ever had," he declared.  "If you get to the point where you can retire, I highly recommend it."

Earlier this year, I rode the ski bus with a lively bunch of senior citizens.  They were all retired; apparently they ride the bus to the resort, ski for half the day, and then go home to do whatever else they please.  Although I don't want to hurry time, I felt a little jealous.

What to do if you're too young to retire? Practice, of course! Every once in awhile (not enough), I take a day off midweek.  In the winter, it's usually to snowboard without the weekend crowds.  In the summer, it's to hike or scramble up a peak.

Ski runs and hiking trails are quieter in the middle of the week.  You can take advantage of the best weather, if it falls on a Wednesday.  You can get a sense of what it would be like to be able to do this all the time.

Of course, there's lots of reasons not to do this, a busy fire season, meetings, or conference calls just being a few.  But nobody is indispensable.  The trails are calling. Get out there and practice.

8 comments:

  1. Yep, I've been "practicing" retirement for a few years now. I, too take midweek days to go ski and hike. Luckily I've been at my job long enough where I've earned lots of vacation hours to do this. I'm eligible for retirement in three years, and although I'll be "young" for retirement (aka still in my 50s) my plan is to get out and enjoy life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you have such gorgeous country to "practice" in....go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do when I can. Work is really busy.

      Delete
  3. I love a midweek 'treat'!!!!!! So important for the mental health too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely it is, and I don't think people do it enough.

      Delete
  4. I love taking days off, just because. House hunting and then moving ate up all my vacation time, but I'm looking forward to being able to do this again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great name! I love cats. Thanks for stopping by. Going over to read your blog now.

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!