Saturday, April 2, 2016

The relief of not having to

I see it in the seasonal employees first. Although they only work a few months, by about month four many of them are over it. There is talk about off-season travel. The fateful words, "I can't wait to be laid off," are even uttered.  They love fighting fire, but by October they are ready to be done.

My local ski area closes in a week. There's still enough snow, but because it operates on Forest Service leased land, the season is always over in early April because of grizzly bears, who live in the area and need to roam in peace. I'm not sad about it.

I won't have to check the snow report. Uh oh, "grooming irregularities!" I won't have to worry about whether I'll get blocked in when parking. I can put my snowboards away for the winter knowing I put in a good effort and now it's time for something else.

As much as I like trail running, sometimes there are days when the snow is deep or the woods are a muddy mess, and I'm pretty much OK with bailing on it and going to the gym instead.  When I start freezing while riding my bike in the fall, I put it in the garage without feeling guilty. 

There's sometimes a relief when you don't have to do something, even if you really like it. I used to only run. I ran every day. I was obsessed with running. But after awhile, I stopped enjoying it. It became an obligation, not something fun. It was only when I started doing other activities more, like hiking or going to the gym, that I enjoyed running again.

Winter is over. It was 70 degrees here today. Snowboards and snowshoes will hang out in the garage till next year. And that's a good thing, because there are trails and mountains waiting to be explored.
Ready for this view!

7 comments:

  1. There's still lots of snow here, and our ski areas will be open for at least another month, if not mid-May. And I'm not yet ready for winter to be over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready for spring and summer! Not for fires yet though. Have fun skiing!

      Delete
  2. Yes! It's good to know when it's time to give oneself permission to stop doing something for a season...or even forever. It's good also to have seasons, isn't it? I enjoy seeing posts and photos from no-season Californians, but wouldn't trade for this look forward to hiking, kayaking and picnics (even though it's snowing today!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days I would trade, but I like spring and fall and some winter, just not a long one.

      Delete
    2. This April morning, I might revise that trade. 14" of snow and cold...past time for spring!

      Delete
  3. That's the beauty....put one thing away temporarily and move on to the next fun activity! It's variety that makes life fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's exactly what I was trying to get at.

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!