Sunday, May 22, 2016

Everyone Needs Spontaneous Outdoors Friends

If I had been on my own on Saturday, I probably wouldn't have driven up to see if I could get all the way to a trailhead.  Especially if I knew that it would involve backing down a winding mountain road after finding that there was too much snow.
A little too much snow to continue
I probably wouldn't have started hiking an alternate trail at 4:30 in the afternoon.
Bridge at the beginning of the trail
I would have been nervous when I saw the piles of bear poop.  I might have turned around when it started to rain heavily (but I doubt that, since I'm pretty stubborn about getting to my destination once I start).  I might not have thought that being pelted with hail was quite as funny.  But if I hadn't gone, I would have missed out on this lake:

Luckily, I didn't miss out, because of some adventurous friends who decided on a whim to see where the snow level was.  They didn't plan on hiking; didn't even bring backpacks.  But when I suggested the alternate trail, they were up for it.

Even though we were drenched, cold and muddy and didn't get back to the car until almost 7, we were all happy.  It wasn't at all what we had planned.  It would have been really easy, with the forecast calling for 90% chance of showers, to trudge to the gym and then spend the rest of the day inside.  But thanks to my adventure buddies, it wasn't that kind of day at all. 

9 comments:

  1. I admire your spirit but many have found themselves in a pickle for similar decision making and plan deviation. Be careful out there little tough girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi adventure buddy! We did talk about that on the trail. Luckily it was a short hike (6 miles) and we knew we could get out quickly.

      Delete
  2. I always hope there is someone among the adventurous outdoor buddies who is good at "backing down a winding mountain road!" I'm not. Glad you found a new lake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so good at driving UP a winding mountain road, much less backing down one.

      Delete
    2. Yes and we also had to help some girls who got their car stuck on the road.

      Delete
  3. I love this post!!!!!!! What a great attitude and what a great day!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MF! Let's hike if you guys ever come out this way.

      Delete
  4. Nothing like some good friends to nudge you outside! On Saturday, I went hiking in the pouring rain...yes, it was a bit unpleasant but I still had a good time and was glad I went despite the forecast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always glad I go, even if during it I'm freezing!

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!