Friday, June 17, 2016

Nike Pegs: A Love Story*

If you looked in my garage, my truck, my fire pack, or my house, chances are you'd see at least one pair of Nike Air Pegasus running shoes.  Most are retired from running: now they are hiking, walking and biking shoes or work-in-the-garden-shoes.  Many are no longer with me but are living the good life, recycled into playground surfaces through the Nike Grind program.

I started running in Nike Pegasus shoes when they came out in the early '80s (yikes! I've been running a long time).  I instantly knew these were my shoes.  They're one of the reasons I've never had a running injury.  I ran (and won) races in them.  I ran up mountains, along rivers, and on long, lonely roads in them.  I ran in places like Ushuaia, Argentina, Reykjavik,  Iceland, on a treadmill on a ship in the Drake Passage headed for Antarctica, in the jungle in Belize, and so many places in between. I got temporarily lost, avoided bison, mountain lions and bears, and left my footprints all over the world.

Change is good when it comes to things like new trails and new adventures.  But sometimes when you find a good thing, whether it is a loyal friend, a destination that makes you smile every time, or even a type of shoes, you need to hang on to it.  I'm not the fast girl who won races anymore, speeding down the road doing sub-seven minute miles. But I'm still running in her shoes.


*I didn't receive any compensation or merchandise for writing this post. I just love these shoes.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I get attached to my gear too. After trying a few brands, I fell in love with Asics Cumulus shoes for running. It's ironic because I live in Nikeland (their world HQ is a mile from my home)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great when you find gear that really works (and doesn't get discontinued).

      Delete
  2. Those shoes (and you) have been a lot of great places. I didn't know about Nike Grind....do they take other brands, too?
    Enjoyed visualizing where your shoes have been!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, they used to. I need to send some in soon so I'll check.

      Delete
  3. Definitely stick with what works!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't want to change now, after so many years of good luck with the brand.

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!