Saturday, September 24, 2016

Termination Dust

That's what we used to call it in Alaska, the first dusting of snow on the distant mountains.  When we saw it, we knew it would soon be time for the seasonals to leave, or if not leave, at least stop coming to work.  Although I had an allegedly permanent job there, I was called a "career seasonal": someone who was able to contribute toward retirement and health insurance, but who was placed in several months of non-pay status every year due to lack of funds and/or work.  Termination dust applied to me too.  I usually worked a little longer than the temporary employees, but as the snowline moved lower, it was only a matter of time.

Most of my current minions are ready to go.  One is getting married; another is taking a climbing class.  The rest have plans, ski passes, and not much interest in staying on as it rains and gets colder.  I can't blame them, really.  There are still projects to do, and assignments in California, but they see the termination dust too.  They want to visit friends, travel, do something else.

I'm not ready for winter.  Some friends and I plan a hike to 8000', taking advantage of an Indian summer day.  We have lost a lot of daylight.  I procrastinate buying my ski pass.  But it's only a matter of time.

I know I can live with winter, although it lasts a long time here in the mountains.  I'll snowboard and snowshoe and fill up my hot tub.  Still, summer is so short.  I want to chase it a little longer.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely....lake, mountains, 8000'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually from Apgar lookout. The hike to 8000' is the next post. I hike to Apgar a lot though.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I'm ready for winter! Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not quite yet! I love Indian summer.

      Delete
  3. I think we all love the cold weather, cannot wait to hide the bouncy tmmy and sip hot chocolate! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, hot chocolate! I bought some that is salted caramel.

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!