Sunday, November 6, 2016

here comes the sun

The temperature was in the 30s at the trailhead.  And because we were going to be gaining elevation, the warmest it would probably be was somewhere around 50 in the afternoon.  In the height of summer, I might have hesitated if I saw that forecast. I might consider a gym day. 

But this was November, and we just had the wettest October on record.  Rainfall totals were anywhere from 6 to 12 inches around the valley.  The October average for the last 30 years is around 0.7!  There were only 3 days without measurable precipitation.  There were a lot of gym days.  When I ran outside, I knew my shoes would soon be perched on a boot dryer.

So yesterday was a hiking day, even though we knew there would be snow at the higher elevations and probably a cold wind at the top of the mountain.  Soon passing a large church group, we charged up the trail, which is sometimes known as one of America's most dangerous hiking trails, due to bears having a preference for the area.  However, since the church group was slower and probably sweeter than us, we figured we would be fine (Grizzly country humor).
 The trail turned snowy after a saddle, but we had a glimpse of our fire lookout destination, and pressed on.
The lookout is staffed in the summer.  A Park Service tower, it has sweeping views of the west side of Glacier Park and into the North Fork of the Flathead River.  Now boarded up for winter, it waits patiently for July, when the shutters will be opened and it will be back in business.
 
 
 You never really know what you'll get in the mountains.  There could be an early winter, or warm days late into the fall.  After a month of rain, this day was a gift, and a reminder not to take anything for granted, even sunshine and trails that lead to the sky. 
 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful hike! I don't mind traveling through a little snow, especially this time of year. We've also had a wet October here in Portland - the second wettest on record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually really like being on snow when the sun is out. I was a little worried though because when you leave the saddle there is a North facing section that holds snow and can be icy and steep. It was fine though. I did have to turn around there one spring.

      Delete
  2. first pic is breathtaking it must be larger
    hiking is great yet risky adventure .thank you for sharing such lovely precious scenes
    absolutely pleasure to watch them
    have safe hiking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Baili! If you click on them you can make them larger, but maybe I'll make larger pics next time. I should look into revamping the blog a bit. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
    2. Fun to "go along" on your hikes. Yes, readers, do click on one of the photos and you can then get a strip where you can click on one at a time to get full size. The first one, enlarged, is breathtaking...what a view.

      Delete
    3. That's from the saddle looking out into the park.

      Delete
  3. these pics are really breathtaking- Baili is right.
    I love your DP (display pic) Lynn- it really is so nice! Thanks for the hike, I need to hike more often. My hike pics would be of my bedroom :P

    (treadmill!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Are there places to hike where you live? You're tougher than I am in regards to the treadmill. I have a hard time staying on one. I get so bored!

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!