Friday, December 16, 2016

The first rule of book club...

Just kidding! There are no rules at my book club.  I've heard of some who take it very seriously, who take notes, and vote what to read.  That's not us.

We go wherever someone volunteers to host.  Someone will email a title of a good book, and we say OK and read it.  You can bring an elaborate homemade dessert, or pick something up from Costco and we will eat it, either way.  You can drink wine, or not.  If you didn't finish the book, or didn't even (gasp!) read it, that's OK too.

We meet once a month, give or take.  If someone can't make it, there's always next time.  We recently exchanged "white elephant" books, which meant someone ended up with a book on "How to Be Elegant."  We tend to laugh a lot and eat too much cheese bread.

It's really not about the books at all, although that's what brings us together on a cold night in December.  It's about this little community that forms for a few hours once a month, where we talk about work, life, and yes, books too.


16 comments:

  1. Love your concept of a book club....friends, wine, food and laughs on cold winter nights. Couldn't be better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a pretty perfect book club to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like the perfect book club to me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to join a book club. Looks like the perfect excuse to get people together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started mine with a woman who also moved here from a town we both lived in where we were in a book club. I hope to keep it going.

      Delete
  6. I once read 3 rules for a women's book club: (1) No husbands allowed. (2) You should have read the book. (3) If it is at your house, you should be home. Book club I'm part of has read some very interesting books--ones I never would have picked up on my own. (We have good snacks, too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Husbands seem to flee, although we would welcome men, I think. I've read some books I wouldn't have picked out either that were good.

      Delete
  7. sounds like a lot of fun to me - i need to join something like that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books are really just an excuse to get together but a bonus because I like to read. You should!

      Delete
  8. I would so love to join a book club. Looks fun:)

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!