Saturday, January 21, 2017

visitors

When I was a child, I used to marvel at the sight of robins in the woods.  They looked like the same birds we had in our yard, but here they were, living the rugged life in the forest.  It must be a lot harder for them out there, I thought (I was clearly a weird kid).

Since then, I've been lucky to (mostly) live where woods and towns overlap, and have plenty of animal visitors.  Where I live now, near a state forest, it's mostly deer and turkeys, although my neighbor had some bears come through his yard and knock down some bird feeders.  I also puzzled over an deer carcass that resembled a mountain lion kill (partially buried, hide pulled off the bones).  In other places there was more variety: a black bear loped past my cabin as I sat on the porch eating cereal; bison surrounded our state park housing in South Dakota, creating a unique excuse for being late to work.

Sometime it's not all great.  I suspect a bunny of decimating some nice plants in my garden.  A band of roving turkeys is kind of cool, and fun to laugh at when they start to roost for the night (since they aren't very good at flying, they seem to attack the trees, flying at them and hoping for the best), but they can make quite a mess.  Something was chewing on my juniper trees until I finally caught the culprits.
The perps

Still, I'd rather have wildlife than concrete and traffic.  When it snows I see their tracks, the paths they make, where they stop to eat.  It's a glimpse into a world that is parallel to ours but is largely hidden, all the animals moving around us, living and breathing and dying, while although so close to them we don't see, and mostly have no idea.

10 comments:

  1. We have urban coyotes where I live. I often hear them howling in the evening. Not the kind of wildlife you'd expect in suburbia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed by how adaptable coyotes are. There's some here in the farm fields.

      Delete
  2. Nice word pictures of your various habitats, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree whole heartedly!!!! Nature is very much better than city living!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I've done both and I much prefer the country.

      Delete
  4. I commented before, but it seems to have disappeared. Yes, reading the world that happens in the dark, especially in winter, is fascinating. Bad bunnies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a bunny, but I'm not sure. Never caught it.

      Delete
  5. i can't imagine living where there are bears - they are strictly the stuff of movies for us....sadly, we have a big problem with feral humans around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad...We have some here, but for the most part it's really safe.

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!