Sunday, February 19, 2017

Fifteen or twenty year decisions

We gathered in an auditorium, getting our marching orders.  One of the people in charge tried to impress on us the importance of our task.  "You will be making fifteen or twenty year decisions," he declared solemnly.

We were about to spend the week rating job applications for permanent firefighting positions.  It's all supposed to be confidential, so I can't say any more about the process. But the phrase stayed with me.  And actually, it kind of depressed me.

If I had known, going to my first fire or accepting my first permanent job, that it was a fifteen or twenty or even a thirty year decision, I might have run screaming in the other direction.  I would have felt trapped.  I suppose there are people who set their feet on a road and never deviate, just know that is what they are going to do for decades.  That's not me.

After all, I drifted around the country like a gypsy for years, going from one seasonal job to another.  I went on international trips on a whim, buying tickets only a few weeks ahead of time.  I moved to Moab one winter just because a friend lived there and said it was a good place.

Because I always thought of firefighting as temporary, there always seemed to be a way out.  Otherwise, the thought of decades of carrying heavy stuff up hills, being exhausted and dirty and constantly vigilant would have been too much.  Because there always seemed to be an escape (after all, I never planned to do this, it just kind of happened), I just kept doing it, until now, I've been doing it more than half my life.

As we flipped through paper, I wondered how many of the people who were selected would stick around.  Was it a twenty year decision for them, or just something to do for awhile? Maybe it was sort of accidental that they ended up firefighters, like I did.  I wanted to give them advice.  I wanted to tell them, fires start and they go out, whether we are there or not.  Don't forget to have a way out if you need one.  Buy that ticket to Patagonia.  Don't be so serious.  But in the end, everyone follows their own road.  Some people's are straight.  Some are more crooked, like mine, but we see pretty interesting things along the way.

Antarctica




9 comments:

  1. Hmmm...lots to think about here. Would I have stayed in that job for 14+ years if I had known that in the beginning? I think so, stayed until it wasn't challenging any longer. If only our younger selves could talk to the applicants, eh? Sounds as if you have built both a challenging job, if accidentally, and a life around it, in some pretty neat places. Lots of memories of places, and positions and people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Those were Gentoo penguins, I think.

      Delete
  3. I've been with my current employer for 28 years. In two more years, I'm eligible for retirement. How did that happen so fast? It's amazing how the years zip by isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I keep thinking that, for example, 2006 was just a couple years ago.

      Delete
  4. i can only really say that getting married was the closest thing to making a 15-20 year (plus) decision i have made.....the result: none from one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I made that one too, same result.

      Delete
  5. I think that's fabulous advice for anyone!!! Not just firefighters!

    Your winding path through life sounds like a good fit for you though!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the only one I know, but I'm so glad I got to travel the places I have.

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!