Sunday, March 26, 2017

When good workouts go bad (and vice versa)

I drove happily to the ski hill.  It was a week day, so there shouldn't be too many people there.  The sun was out.  What could go wrong?

Arriving at the lift, I gazed up at the front side runs.  The skiers already up there were making slow, big turns.  Oh no!  This could only mean one thing.  Ice!

But I was already there, so I got on a chair.  The wind suddenly increased.  Ice and wind?  Still, how bad could it be?

I bumped my way down the run.  The "grooming irregularities" threw me off.  My turns were tentative.  I caught an edge and fell, something I hadn't done in a long time.  A mountain host skied up to me.  "You must have won the boardercross yesterday," he said.  Ha ha ha.  I couldn't be mad, though; it was funny.  I made myself do a few more runs, but it just wasn't my day.

Today, I slowly gathered my stuff, trying to talk myself out of it.  It was a sunny Sunday, bound to be busy.  It might be icy again; there hadn't been any new snow.  I couldn't come up with a good excuse though, so I headed out to meet the ski bus.

Surprise.  Hardly anyone was there.  The snow was fast but soft.  The slopes were wide open and I rode the lift by myself.  I did more runs than I planned.

I often wonder why this happens.  A three mile run can seem like 10 one day.  Hills surveyors would miss seem difficult.  A weight I can usually easily lift seems tough sometimes.  A short hike feels like a death march.  Conversely, on days I really, really don't want to run, the miles are effortless.  Faced with a big mountain to climb and feeling uncertain, I end up being one of the strongest in the party.

Discounting any obvious reasons of illness, injury, or overtraining, I think it's nature's way of keeping you humble.  Think you're all that? Well, here's a day when you count every minute of your run and can't wait for it to be over.  And on the other hand, just when you're convinced you're no good at a sport and should give it up, here comes the best day ever.

Today was a good day.  Who knows how tomorrow's run will go.  But that's what keeps it interesting.









10 comments:

  1. I may have off days running, hiking, or working out, but every day I ski is a good day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday I want to get to that point with snowboarding. Working on it!

      Delete
  2. I've often wondered the same thing myself...why one day a workout is easy and the next day the same workout is akin to hell! I like your theory that it is natures way of keeping us humble....because it certainly does!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EXACTLY. There's no rhyme nor reason as to why one run (be it via legs or skis) is good and the next is weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wondered about this for a really long time.

      Delete
  4. over the years I have found that many of the best things that have happened to me have done so when I have had low/no expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still trying to get back into working out consistently, so I feel like every day is an off day! Ha ha. But I look forward to those days when it feels effortless and maybe even enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like those days also. It makes it easier to keep working out.

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!