Saturday, April 22, 2017

Where's the fire?

Every once in awhile I realize that the word "fire" is in the title of this blog, but in fact I don't write that often about fire.  Sometimes I think I should, but then I think, not really.

Sometimes, not very often, I'll come across a fire blog.  Most of the time they have been abandoned for years.  If it's a new one, the person will write earnestly about firefighting tactics and strategies.  He or she might second guess the decisions made during fatality fires.  But usually these blogs die out, or cease to be interesting except to new firefighters.  The ones that remain still talk about fire, but also other things: hiking, photography, or thoughts about life.

I recently took a class on resilience and work/life balance.  It was all the stuff we know, but don't always do.  Exercise (well, I do that), nutrition (I try!) and your life beyond the workplace (I'm not always so great at that).  As a firefighter, it's easy to tip the balance.  It's a demanding job.  You're gone a lot.  You don't get vacations in the summer, or holidays, or special events.  You spend more time with your coworkers than anyone else.

But we are ultimately all replaceable.  Fires eventually go out.  The job takes a toll on your body and for some, your mental state.  Firefighter suicide rates are high.  I've known a few people who have taken that path.  There has to be something else besides the job, even if it is your passion.

So I'll still write about fire, but today here is a picture of a lake I hiked to.  It's not a long hike, but there was still a lot of snow.  Even in snowshoes, I slid around and fell in.  I saw bear tracks and thought about turning around, but instead yelled louder.  The lake is just now starting to lose its winter ice.

It'll be a long time before fire comes to this forest.  It's barely spring here.  But there's plenty of time for that.  I'd rather be out here today, in the snow and sunshine.

8 comments:

  1. Even though the firefighting stories are interesting, it's your outdoor recreation tales I enjoy the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I get more comments on those! And when I wrote about being vain about my passport picture!

      Delete
  2. Agree with Linda....it's the balance between the fire work and the interesting explorations of your home area, and the world trips, that make this so interesting. I know that lake!! Are the bears out already???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes some of the males have been out for a month. Probably grumpy too, because there's still so much snow.

      Delete
  3. It all goes hand in hand...the references to fires and your job just lead us to get to witness the amazing life you've made for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MF. I'm grateful for my blogger virtual friends.

      Delete
  4. i am so thankful for my job - when i found myself alone it was the mainstay of my existence - sad but true - i think its great that you get out and do things, and that has definitely been something i have made extra effort to do over the past 18 months even if its by myself most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work and work friends have definitely helped me get through stuff. A good balance is so important. Both have their place.

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!