Friday, June 9, 2017

(Yet Another) Trail Report

What to do when it's supposed to rain, but you just have to get out? Hit the trail, of course!

On Sunday I met my group of trusty millennials.  It was almost two, not exactly an alpine start, but one of them had to work, and it stays light until almost 10 anyway.  We piled into an old jeep and headed south.

The weather forecast called for a 50% chance of rain and thunderstorms, with high winds.  We went anyway.  Instead it was sunny and 80 degrees.  Everyone else was coming down as we headed up, a bonus of starting late.

The forest opened up into a bowl filled with a subalpine lake, still mostly frozen in this first week of June.  We roamed around on snow still so deep that we were looking down at the trail signs.  Below, the bear grass was just starting to bloom. 

Strawberry Lake.  Some people were (trying to) fish.
 
The trail from here is still under deep snow.
For most of my hiking companions, this was their last hike before they headed out to fires in the Southwest, although they didn't know it then.  I'll stay a little longer, which doesn't bother me.  Look at this place. It's so hard to leave. 


8 comments:

  1. We get to go along on (another) trail! So glad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like this one.

      Delete
    2. Is this in Jewel Basin....I read the snow was still very deep there.

      Delete
    3. Basically, although not officially part of it. A trail goes from this lake to Jewel Basin.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you're out hiking! Yes, I always go, despite the forecast. Sometimes the weatherman gets it wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've been getting it wrong here lately, which is good.

      Delete
  3. Very pretty!!!!! As I'm sweating today on my bike I'll be thinking of all that glorious cool snow!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hiking on snow in the summer. Best of both worlds.

      Delete

I try to answer all comments, so comment away!